Really excellent thoughts on what publishers need to do to attract faithful subscribers – too often we pay, but the experience is still dreadful. And what is it with fixed annual subscriptions in the age of Netflix and Spotify? [Frederic Filloux – Monday Note](https://mondaynote.com/@filloux)

100% recycled clothing by Patagonia

 Three cheers to Patagonia for leading the way on sustainability in clothing (see their Footprint page for more):

Patagonia has been diverting resources from the landfill since 1993 when we made the first fleece from recycled plastic bottles. Since then, we’ve learned how to use more and more recycled materials in our clothing without sacrificing performance or quality. This season it all comes together in the re\\\collection—styles made with all sorts of recycled materials, including 100% recycled down, 100% recycled wool and 100% recycled polyester with 85% recycled polyester labels, 80% recycled zippers and 50% recycled buttons. This is radically resourceful clothing, built to keep you warm and ready to be recycled again when the time comes.

Source: re\\collection: 100% recycled clothing by Patagonia

Zapier to PDF in DevonThinkPro – Tutorial

As a follow-up to my last post on my automations for DevonThinkPro and some feedback on DevonThink’s blog post covering my workflow, below is a more detailed tutorial for how I archive PDFs of web content I want to preserve. To recap, using a combination of Pocket /RSS, Zapier, CloudConvert, Dropbox and Hazel, I end up with the following:

1) Paginated searchable PDFs in a synced DevonThinkPro database, searchable on my iPad, iPhone and MacBook.
2) Links saved to Pinboard (and saved for good measure using Bookmark Archiving)
3) Running list in Slack of the latest archived content

Continue reading

My Current Automations

Updated: 6th December to clarify my Zapier workflows.

Moving Parts Inspired by MacStories’ Workflow Corner and MacDrifter’s article on reading within DevonThinkPro , I thought I’d share my workflow for saving PDFs of valued web content to a local store, plus also some other useful zaps/applets which make my life easier.

In my case, 95% of my reading material (articles, blog posts, technical guides & instructions etc) is sourced via Feedbin and saved into Pocket for reading on the Tube, at my desk etc. The remaining 5% are legal resources I want to keep (I’m a lawyer by day) which come from emails, within paywall sites, on my corporate email etc.

End Result
Using a combination of Pocket, Zapier, CloudConvert, Dropbox and Hazel, I end up with the following:

1) Paginated searchable PDFs in a synced DevonThinkPro database, searchable on my iPad, iPhone and MacBook.
2) Links saved to Pinboard (and saved for good measure using Bookmark Archiving)
3) Running list in Slack of the latest archived content

Whilst there was plenty of setup involved, this is now a dream to use. Anything I read that I want to save for posterity/future reference, it’s just a simple tag/star/email and I know I have a PDF saved and accessible anywhere. Most importantly, I can add in new sources as needed, or easily switch the destination for my archives, it’s all very flexible.

See below for all the details. Additionally see here for a a PDF of my automations and workflows.

Continue reading

A law-abiding citizen's guide to privacy

A law-abiding citizen’s guide to privacy

If one would give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest man, I would find something in them to have him hanged.” — Cardinal Richelieu in 1641

Given the the huge increase in corporates being hacked (plus the latest surveillance legislation), this is worth a read.

If you only do 2 things, use 2-factor authentication for your email, and use 1Password/LastPass to remember different passwords for your accounts!